If you are tired of your old, outdated bathroom and would love to remodel the entire thing, you may want to start planning for this several months in advance, especially if you are on a tight budget. The average cost of a bathroom remodel job is $9,315, which is a lot of money for one of the smallest rooms in your home. If you do not have this kind of money to use for this, you may want to consider following these tips to help you reduce the costs of your home remodeling project.
Keep The Same Layout
One of the first things to think about with your remodeling project is whether you want to keep the same layout or change it. If you can keep the same layout, the project will be cheaper, because you will not have to move any of the plumbing pipes, drains, or lines. If you change the layout, you may end up with a lot of extra work to do. This work will not only be costly, but it can be time-consuming too.
Explore All Options With Your Bathtub
One of the costliest parts of a bathroom remodeling project is updating the bathtub, but this is typically one of the most important aspects of the job too. To improve the looks of your tub, you have options, and here are three of them:
- Replace the tub with a new one – While replacing your tub might seem like the most expensive route, it can actually be the cheapest method if you do the work yourself. If you have to hire this out, replacing the tub can be very expensive because of all the work that is involved. Another thing to consider is the amount of time it will take to remove the old tub and put a new one in. If you do this yourself, it might take days to complete this job.
- Refinish the tub – One of the most affordable ways to improve the looks of a bathtub is to have it refinished. While you could try doing this yourself, you might want to just pay someone to do it so it is completed quickly. The cost can be as low as $300 to have this done, and your tub will look great when it is finished.
- Get a bathtub liner – Tub liners typically look better than refinished tubs, but they can cost around $1,100 to $1,400 or more to have them installed.
If you compare the costs of these three options and are able to do at least some of the work yourself, you might be able to save a lot of money on this part of your remodeling project.
Focus On The Small Things
Another good strategy for improving the looks of a bathroom is to focus on the small issues and tasks. Painting, for example, is one of these. A can of paint is very affordable and can make a big difference with the looks of a bathroom. There are a variety of other small, affordable changes you can also make that will help keep your costs down, but that will offer major improvements to the way your bathroom looks. Here are some ideas:
- Get a new shower curtain and rug
- Install a new mirror and light fixture
- Add fancy towel racks to the walls
- Replace your light switch covers
- Redo the caulk on your fixtures
Spending money on remodeling your bathroom is a great way to add value to your house, but this type of remodeling project can also be expensive. To learn more about bathroom remodeling, contact a remodeling contractor today.